Google Analytics

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Spring Break

We had a busy, busy Spring Break. We stayed home the first few days, cleaning house and hanging out with friends. On Tuesday, I had a doctor's appointment in Dodge City, and we headed to Hays from there. Our friends the Howies and the Plogers met up with us on Thursday. The kids went to Pottery Works while we browsed downtown Hays and drank green beer at Gella's/Liquid Bread.

On Thursday, we drove to Topeka, where we met up with my friend Kenzie and visited the state capitol, where her boyfriend Dustin works. The building is undergoing renovation, so we didn't to see a lot, but Ella was still thoroughly impressed. The guy working the souvenir kiosk "hooked her up" with lots of postcards, Kansas trivia cards, and presidential info. Here are pictures of the girls sitting at the governor's ceremonial desk (taken on Kenzie's phone as I had left mine in the car).

After visiting the capitol, we drove to Lawrence, where we explored Mass Street and ate Indian food for supper. (I thought it was delicious, Ryan and Ella tolerated it, and Emilia eats anything.) The next morning we visited the KU campus (even though Ella says she plans to attend FHSU or KSU) and drove to KC. We shopped at the Legends shopping center and met up with Brandi, Josh, Anya and Ally to eat supper at the T-Rex Cafe. I once again forgot my camera, so I don't have any pictures of the restaurant. It's fun, but the food was mediocre and the service was terrible. (Dessert at Cold Stone Creamery made up for it, though.) If we go there again, I might just take the girls in to look around at the T-Rex Cafe and then eat elsewhere.

It was beautiful when we got to KC, but the weather changed early afternoon. That evening it started raining, and then it started snowing! I hadn't really paid too much attention to the weather forecasts predicting snow because it seems like they've predicted snow every weekend this winter, and it's rarely materialized. I figured if it did snow, it would just be flurries--no big deal. But there was a lot of snow--like six inches. Luckily, we spent the rest of our weekend at the Great Wolf Lodge. It was kind of strange to be swimming and look out the window at falling snow.

I actually did take pictures at the Great Wolf Lodge, so I'll put them up in a separate post. On Sunday, we loaded up to head home. We made a number of stops, so it took us a while to get home, but Emilia was thankfully a very good traveler.

No comments:

Post a Comment