If you know me, you know that I have an almost pathological obsession with brownies. I'm always on the look-out for a new recipe. (Yesterday, Ryan accused me of loving brownies more than I love him. I denied it, but I did eat about an eighth of the pan of these brownies last night before bed. So much for healthy eating.)
These brownies are dark and fudgy with a yummy crackly top. The recipe is from Good Housekeeping, February 2011.
3/4 C. butter, cup up
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped (I didn't chop mine because I'm lazy)
1/2 C. flour
1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
6 large eggs
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 13 x 9 pan with foil; grease.
2. In a 3-qt. sauce-pan (I think mine was smaller than that), melt butter and chocolate on low heat, stirring. Remove from heat.
3. In bowl, whisk flour, cocoa and salt.
4. With a mixer, beat eggs on high until blended. Gradually add sugars. Beat on high 10 minutes or until tripled in volume.
5. Fold in chocolate and vanilla, then flour mixture. Pour into pan. Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out almost clean. Cool. (Or do what I did and dig in while they're still hot.)