Google Analytics

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Ella's haircut


There once was a girl, who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad, she was horrid.

Ella may not have a curl in the middle of her forehead, but this nursery rhyme describes her perfectly. Yesterday morning I took Ella to the Howies so she wouldn't have to go with me and Emilia to the doctor, and she would up playing at their aunt Lisa's house all day. Leanne and Alex assure me that she behaved perfectly well all day, but that must have been all the good behavior she had in her. As soon as she saw me, she melted down.

She and Ryan had haircuts last night, and getting Ella to do anything when she's in a bad mood is problematic. Unfortunately, you can't just reschedule a haircut because of a bad mood.

As I took Ella to Liz's shop, she complained (and by "complained," I mean "screamed) that she didn't want her hair cut, that it was fine the way it was, that she was trying to grow her hair out, and how was she going to grow her hair out if I kept making her cut it. We finally agreed that Liz would trim her bangs and leave everything else alone.

After Ryan was done with his haircut, Ella hopped up in the seat and said, "Let's go a little shorter this time."

Liz explained that cutting her hair shorter would make it more difficult for her to grow her hair out, but she insisted. I don't really care what she does with her hair (as long as she doesn't cut it herself), so we decided to cut it a little shorter.

Liz finished cutting Ella's hair, and I was really pleased. The place Ella cut her hair this winter has almost grown out and Liz was able to blend it in really well.

Then Liz had Ella look in the mirror. That's when the real meltdown began. "I said I wanted it shorter," she pouted. "This isn't shorter. It's longer." She was acting like a two year old about to throw a tantrum.

We left without having Liz blow dry her hair (which is Ella's favorite part of getting her hair cut). I told her we would wait a few days and if she still wanted it shorter, we would go back for another hair cut.

Once we got in the car, she was all smiles. By the time we got home she said, "I just couldn't really see my hair in that mirror. I think it's perfect the way it is."

Aaaragh!


No comments:

Post a Comment