Google Analytics

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Veggie Enchilada Recipe

I got this recipe from Glamour magazine. Usually I put spinach and mushrooms in my veggie enchiladas. This was a nice change. The magazine estimates it costs $29 to make the enchiladas (which they consider a real bargain), but I don't think it costs nearly that much--maybe $10. As usual, I didn't follow the recipe exactly.

Ingredients:

2 T olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 Spanish onion, julienned (I used a chopped white onion)
1 red pepper, julienned (I chopped it)
2 C. broccoli, lightly steamed and chopped
1 12 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed (I accidentally left these out--oops!)
3 C. mozzarella cheese, grated
1/4 C. fresh cilantro, chopped
12 6-inch tortillas (the recipe doesn't say whether to use corn or flour; I used corn)
1 jar salsa verde (I used a little more than one jar--I like things saucy)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Heat oil in a medium pan. Saute onion and red pepper about five minutes, until onion is translucent. Add garlic, and cook about one minute more.
3. Transfer to a bowl. Fold in broccoli, beans, 2 cups cheese, and cilantro.
4. Lightly coat a shallow baking dish with nonstick spray. (Mine was a little smaller than 9 x 13.)
5. Warm tortillas in a non-stick pan on low heat until pliable. Place 1/4 cup enchilada filling on each tortilla and gently roll. Place in baking dish. (I was lazy and made this casserole style. I tore up the tortillas, made one layer on the bottom, put the filling on top, and then did one more layer of torn tortillas.)
6. Coat with salsa verde. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake for 15 minutes. Dot with sour cream. (I skipped the sour cream, but I'm sure it would be yummy.)

Optional garnish: Chop up and mix radishes, cherry tomatoes, jalepenos, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. (Again, I was lazy. I threw everything in the food processor. It made it more like salsa instead of a garnish, but it was really good. Next time I'll probably chop by hand to make it chunkier, though.)

Ryan hasn't tried this yet, but I thought it was very yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment